Saturday 4 January 2014










So last weekend I managed to venture beyond the kitchen and get started on a little project I had been putting off for a while. The good old pin board! 

Being a visual person I work best when I can physically see things right before me and this is particularly the case when it comes to calendars and appointments. Sure the diaries on my phone, laptop etc. are great, but I really wanted a place when I could have all my upcoming appointments, invitations and other bits and bobs in one place and constantly staring me in the face (a must if you're fighting your natural urges to procrastinate like me!). 

Hence the pin board. It now takes pride of place in my room when I can see it every day... now I just need a pretty 2014 calendar to stick in its centre!


I think all up this project cost something like $15, and that's only because I wanted a pretty printed fabric! You could have used any old scrap material and finish it for even cheaper! It also only took one lazy afternoon to complete. Perfect! 



Here's How It's Done




  




All you need for this project is:


An old picture frame  (it's not shown in the above picture but you need both the frame and its backing board!) 

Some sandpaper 

Paint in whatever colour you want the frame to be! 

Staple gun (not essential) 

Craft glue
Wadding or sheet foam at least 1cm thick 

Roll of cork 

Pretty fabric


My bedroom  has what I like to think of as a "Modern Gothic sheik" vibe about it (lots of black, silver and damask!) so I chose the colour and fabric of my board to tie in with this look. That and the fabric I found had keys on it and I have a bit of a thing for keys... nothing weird here... 




Start off by lightly sanding back the old frame and giving it a coat or two of paint. I chose a glossy black!





While you're setting that aside to dry, grab the backing of the picture frame and place it facing down. Now grab your roll of cork and measure it to cover the backing board. Cut it to size and then stick it to the board with your craft glue.












Follow the cork with the wadding/foam. Measure and cut the foam to the dimensions on the board and use some more craft glue to stick it on top of the cork layer.

Next, give your fabric a quick iron to get rid of any wrinkles and then lay on a bench facing downwards (so the side you want to be showing on the finished board is facing away from you. Trim the fabric so that you have 3-4 cm overhang on all sides when you place the board on top 






UNLIKE IN THE ABOVE PICTURE, place the now padded backing board in the centre of the fabric with the foam side facing down onto the fabric. Grab your staple gun and, keeping the fabric pulled tight so you don't get wrinkles, fold over the overhang and staple to the back of the board.








That's about it! Now simply grab your painted frame and stick the backing in (it may be a bit snug due to the fabric but just put a little muscle into it!).






You can leave it as is but for mine I thought it just needed a little extra 'somethin somethin' so I grabbed some simple gold thumb tacks and spaced them all around the outside of the board to create a bit of a studded effect.







And you're done!

Stick your board wherever you need constant reminders, inspiration or simply have lots of notes in need of refuge!











No comments:

Post a Comment