Saturday 9 January 2016

Wild Rice Summer Pudding



When my sister and I were in Melbourne last year we went traipsing through St. Kilda in search of a cafe that I had stumbled across while looking up nearby vegan eateries the night before. We took several detours (damn you iPhone maps app! *shakes fist*), got whistled at by a passing rubbing truck driver and stared down by two West highland terriers as we passed a human hairdressers (and yes one of us did sing 'How Much is that Doggy in the Window') before eventually arriving at the most hippest of hipster cafes.

As we entered Monk Bodhi Dharma we passed by two employees(?) sitting on upturned crates out the front, one sporting a thick heads of dreadlocks tamed by a well-worn bandanna and another with a sharp pixie cut and solid nose ring. Maybe it was my imagination, but I could have sworn that as we stumbled past, sweaty faced (did I mention damn you iPhone maps?!) and starving, Dreadlocks looked us in the eye and gave a solitary nod of his head as if to say, "Yes you tourist yuppies, you have proved your worth by uncovering the hidden wonderland and may now enter and bask in her organic bounty".

Or, you know, something like that. Maybe he was just shooing a fly from his face. Who knows!

Upon entering all our sweating and swearing was vindicated. Numerous coffee grinders lined one wall, each with a different variety of bean displayed on the chalkboards above them. Industrial lighting hung low over the tables, topped of by exposed brick walls, concrete floors and a mish mash of tables and chairs. Instagram gold! Just look at the dirty bottle pretending to be a vase! Who does it think it is?!





After perusing a the menu I settled on their coconut and vanilla rice pudding with earl grey and spice macerated fruit, toasted almonds and coconut. It was beyond good. It was scrumdidlyumptious. It was also the perfect breakfast for a chilly morning, being warm and filling.

I'm not sure what sparked my memory, but for a few weeks now I have been fondly remembering this particular meal and craving a repeat. Obviously I'm not flying back across the country just for a bowl of rice pudding, wonderful though it may be, but I could whip up my own version at home. Maybe topped with some spicy poached pears... cinnamon quills... oh possibilities!

Unfortunately it is currently summer here. And has been for as long as I can remember. Seriously, I am struggling to remember the smell of rain or when we didn't have a day over 28 degrees! Not the type of weather once enjoys a steaming rice pudding in.

Since who knows when it will actually be cool enough for that, I thought why not be my adaptable self and create a summer rice pudding instead?

And thus this post comes full circle
(didn't think I would make it did you?)

I threw together this summer pudding using wild rice (I used tri-colour but I think any type would work?), Vitasoy coconut milk, fresh fruit and chopped nuts. Still quite filling but oh so much more refreshing!

I have become a little bit addicted to Vitasoy Coconut milk (not sponsored but if you're listening Vitasoy I'm open to selling out...). Its mostly just filtered water with a little coconut cream added but it tastes super coconut-y and I use it in the place of proper coconut milk the majority of the time to keep my fat intake down. Alternatively you could use a blend of half coconut milk with half water or even some non-dairy milk for a super creamy pudding.

To let the fresh fruit really shine and keep it summery the pudding itself isn't overly sweet, but you could always add some extra sweetener or even throw some chopped dates into the pot while the rice is cooking if that's more your style.             

If you have made it this far through my ramblings well done to you! Your reward? This rockin' rice recipe! Enjoy!



Wild Rice Summer Pudding


Serves ~4-5


1 1/2 cups wild rice
4 cups Vitasoy Coconut milk (or blend of half coconut milk/ half water or non-dairy milk)
2 tbsp maple syrup (or other sweetener), more or less to taste
1 vanilla pod, split
Pinch salt
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon


To Serve (take your pick or create your own combination!):

Fresh fruit (e.g. mango, banana,blueberries, strawberries, kiwi fruit,
Toasted almond meal
Toasted coconut flakes
Edible flowers
Roughly chopped nuts
Orange zest
Coconut yogurt 


Place all of the pudding ingredients into a medium saucepan and bring to the boil, making sure the stir frequently to stop rice sticking to the bottom.

Once it has come to the boil turn the heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently for ~15 to 20 minutes or until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. 

Remove from heat and allow the pudding to cool and then place in the refrigerator until chilled. At this point if too much of the liquid has been absorbed and the mixture has become clumpy stir through some extra coconut milk to loosen the pudding. 

Spoon into serving dishes and top with your choice of fresh fruits, nuts, berries or whatever your summer-loving heart desires!





No comments:

Post a Comment